Re: Sennheiser MKH MS setup

Subject: Re: Sennheiser MKH MS setup
From: "Jeremiah Moore" jeremiahmoore99
Date: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:12 pm (PDT)
I use a Remote Audio hand grip for my windpac:
http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item223.htm

I've been using it with shotgun mics (sennh. 416 and schoepps cmit5)
and the Rode NT4 mostly.

Been using the windpac sporadically for the last 8 mos or so, in
boompole applications and sometimes handheld in the field.  Here's my
brief take:

Rycote: more rugged; with long hair furry wind resistance is better;
balanced in the hand (mount point is close to the center of gravity,
not out on the end like the windpac); less fussy;  you can get parts
just about anywhere.

Windpac:  lighter; more acoustically transparent (this is what
ultimately sold me on it); raincover looks promising, haven't tried
it yet; very easy to mount different mics, no clips to change out
etc.  It can be a little fussy to reconfigure in the field.  On the
handgrip, it's weighted toward the front, which can fatigue the hand
during long takes esp. with a heavy mic like the NT4.  I usu. angle
the handgrip toward the front of the mic and hold it underhand to
compensate.

Generally, the windpac is fussier.  It's very "engineered" by which I
mean every part of it is purpose-designed with a minimum of
materials, and can only be used exactly as designed.  Whereas the
rycote is a modular system which might be more "hackable" if you
will.  Consider how the windscreen attaches to the shockmount:  the
windpac has two little specifically shaped silicone rubber grips
which fit in a specially molded clip in the specially shaped
shockmount body, opposite a specially shaped and placed collar which
the windscreen exactly clips around.  The rycote mount has a big long
rubbery slot of basic shape and construction which you could attach
to an alternate system (like the shockmounts Ktek makes for instance,
or if you're clever in the shop you could make your own).

As for handling noise, I haven't tried them side by side.  The rycote
may be better, but it's not perfectly isolated...  There's no way
around using a stand/tripod if you need to record very quiet sounds.

I don't love love love the windpac.  But it does work well and I went
with it because of the acoustic transparency and flexibility to work
with a variety of mic'ing scenarios.

my .02

-jeremiah moore

>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>Tim Nielsen <> wrote:
>>

>>  I bought a DPA Windpac for the MKHs, thinking it would be a great
>>  really portable setup, the windshield collapses, the shockmount
>is
>>  small. But so far I've found that it's nearly impossible to hand-
>hold
>>  the Windpac. It's just too noisy, too much handling noise. And
>since
>>  it doesn't have a handle, it's kind of awkward to handle. I'll
>either
>>  return it, or maybe keep it for times I know I'm going to stand
>mount
>>  the mics, I think it'd be fine for that.
>>

>Tim,
>thanks for sharing feedback on the DPA Windpac.
>I'd been looking at these myself and hoping one would
>show up on ebay someday since it's so darn pricey.
>
>does it work well, minus the handling noise?
>my use would mostly be in conjunction with
>a video camera mounted on a tripod (I need my
>hands for the camera controls) and so
>I might could trade off the handling noise
>for small (packed) size and light weight.
>
>I'd be using it with a 20/30 combo for now,
>and either 40 or 50 with the 30 later.
>
>cheers,
>clay

jeremiah moore | SOUND |