Re: mkh20-edirol R4 problem revisited

Subject: Re: mkh20-edirol R4 problem revisited
From: "Romilly Hambling" <>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 23:35:10 -0000
Volker, thanks, that's very welcome news as it points pretty clearly
to some fault in my system (or the way I'm setting it up). Means I can
just leave it to the technicians at HHB here in London to test and fix.

one channel with no effect. In any case each channel listened to
separately sounds the same (bad), so it doesn't seem to be a phase
conflict problem. (Hope that deals with the suggestion in your second,
follow-up post.) I don't know what relevance that has to Klas'
suggestions. Make-up and sweat? Dunno, but if you heard the sweet
sounds I was getting on that outdoors recording of a thrush and a coot
splashing around (linked on the MKH page) the sweat etc weren't doing
much harm! That was with the MKHs on a Portadisc.

Can't really follow Klas' thinking! (1) The MKHs were in exactly the
same positions as I'd had the 3032s in another session, and the latter
performed well. (2) Each one of the omni pairs (3032 or MKH) was about
six feet apart and facing in opposite directions, so the likelihood of
them picking up waves that would conflict or cancel would have to be
remote - they were facing different wall/room shapes and sound
sources. That's pretty apparent in the wave traces. (3) Ears are the
same (apart from the electric supply!) as mic diaphragms, no? We hear
phase cancellation just as well. And the "mess"? Can't see how the
mkhs should get confused any more than ears or the 3032s. Following
this argument music is such a riotous mess it should confuse any
multi-mic setup.

Klas, let me check that I don't simply have a faulty R4, or it's
something asinine I've done, before you worry about your next Telinga
design!! I'm not technically on a level with many of you here. All I
can plead is I've never encountered this problem before. And yes, I've
been using a mix of directional (TLMs, NT1As) and omni (MKH, 3032).
IMHO the omni 3032s worked famously in this "studio" environment they
aren't supposed to work in.

Rob, finally. I haven't got preamps, no. It'd be useful if I had, but
this is where I'll hand the R4 over gratefully to the distributors
(HHB) to check it. Goodness knows, they may have read all about the
damn problem here!

Thanks to all for your help. It would be really good to hear from
someone who can confirm Volker's info as that would just about settle
the matter once and for all.

romillyh

--- In  Volker Widmann <>