Re: mkh20-edirol R4 problem revisited

Subject: Re: mkh20-edirol R4 problem revisited
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:25:31 -0500
At 5:51 PM +0100 4/8/06, Roger Norwood wrote:
>Perhaps Rob or Volka might have the technology to reverse-phase one channe=
>of your recording sample to see if that might be the problem.
>In UK MKH20 are used for high q radio mic close vocals in musical theatre
>and only sound so bad when full of sweat or make up. In other words they a=
re
>only used as mono sources and not as stereo pairs.
>Therefore the hired mics might be wired out of phase with each other and
>could produce the lack of gain and tinny sounds you describe.
>Hope it helps
>regards & Easter greetings
>BigRog
>
>Roger Norwood

Hi Roger--
I did reverse the phase and it had no affect. It looks/sounds as two
of the R4's inputs (or other patching condition) were summing the the
stereo signals somehow-- possibly in addition to a cable phase
problem. I'm not sure I'd associate the thin sound with the polar
patterns involved. I believe he had the 20's right next to the
3032's- all omnis.  If the mics were wired wrong, they wouldn't have
worked corectly in the portadat. Rob D.