Re: solar battery charging (was recording gear

Subject: Re: solar battery charging (was recording gear
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:51:32 -0600
Hi John--
Yes, we might have touched upon some practical, affordable uses. I
suspect many readers would like to do more as more becomes feasible.
Let's try to keep on our toes and follow along with developments--
which are considerable. I peeked into charger controllers a bit.
Seems the main thing they do is prevent reverse flow when the PV
panel output drops (low/no sun).
http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/SunSaver/info/SS_DataSheet.pdf

Morningstar is a big name. They're a few bucks more.
http://www.affordable-solar.com/morningstar.html

In the case of Solar Panel (charger) ->MAHA cig adapter cable -> MAHA
charger-> Sony "M" Lithium Ion battery, I believe the MAHA would
simply shut off when the voltage/sun dropped (sans charger
controller).  As I mentioned, your 20 watt panel could probably
charge two batteries at once. There are compact, inexpensive Lithium
Ion battery chargers that come with 13.5 vdc/500-1000ma wall warts.
Here's one that charges two batteries at once:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=+BCD641+&hl=en&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=unknown

One could insert the charger panel output into the Lenmar BCD641
charger (instead of plugging them it into the wall wart).  At $160
for the 20 watt panel, that comes to ~$200 for a packable two battery
per sunny day solar charger. Maybe condition the batteries on your
MAHA every now and then.  Rob D.

At 10:20 PM -0500 1/16/06, J. Young wrote:
>Rob,
>This is one of the solar power regulators available for charging of
>batteries, etc.that I mentioned in earlier posts. There are others
>available (read more expensive) that I am sure have more bells and
>whistles, and are cheaper. But this will give you an idea of what is
>available in this fairly new, at least to me, industry.
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6023079394&fromMakeTrack=true
>This line of conversation has been a lot of fun for me, thank you.
>Enjoy!

Rob Danielson
Film Department
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee