Re: solar battery charging (was recording gear

Subject: Re: solar battery charging (was recording gear
From: "werainey" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:54:09 -0000
Hi Rob,
The reverse flow issue is usually addressed by a blocking diode which can b=
hidden in the panel junction box or the lead. These are  commonly incorpora=
ted
in small panels, but you need to check. The primary goal of the regulator i=
usually to avoid an excessive charge rate.  The smallest Morningstar
controller is prettry bulky and has rather high output for a portable kit. =
You
might want to look at a similar unit from www. globalsolar.com. I have had=

ten or so  semi-custom trickle charge controllers (for 5-10 watt panels)
about the size of a small matchbox made up by www.emesystems.com.

Global Solar  supplies a  lot of the thin film panels sold by ICP Solar. Th=
eir
C-I-G-S panel formulation is supposed to provide more power output at low
light levels than some of its silicon predecessors. Though the price on
remaindered roll-up flexible panels is attractive, I like the crush resista=
nce
and compactness of the fold-up thin film panels from Global Solar (availabl=
from the Alternative Energy Store and others).

Their consumer Sunlinq panels (6 or 12 watt) incorporate a blocking diode a=
nd
regulator (of unspecified design) which seems to work OK. Their higher outp=
ut
folding panels don't have the built-in regulator. The accessory leads for t=
he
consumer panels are fairly stiff zipcord. If I was trying to minimize weigh=
and bulk, I'd remake them with more compliant wire.

Bill R.

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/SunSaver/info/SS_DataSheet.pdf