Re: solar battery charging (was recording gear

Subject: Re: solar battery charging (was recording gear
From: "J. Young" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:43:56 -0500
Rob,
Yes, I use the cig. connection with my Maha with no problems at all.  A Rad=
io Shack variable wall wart adapter can be used with the converter to charg=
e most different voltage appliances. I would think this adapter to be very =
familiar with most recorders. I use part #237-1667 for any variable charges=
 between 3 and 12volts.
  As I have said, I generally use the solar panel directly to the converter=
 to the Maha. I don't know why one could not go directly from the cig. adap=
t. to the Maha, I just have not done so myself. There is plenty of power de=
rived from the 20w panel to charge most 12v batteries in a day time providi=
ng it's a sunny day. The panel actually exceeds 12v normally.
If you wanted to use the lead acid battery in lieu of the converter, and yo=
u want to tote it, I don't see any problem at all, as the panel was designe=
d to charge just that, a 12v battery.
  Just a guess, but the converter weighs about 3-4 ounces and costs about $=
25-30. Much better than a heavy lead acid battery, don't you think?