Re: solar battery charging (was recording gear

Subject: Re: solar battery charging (was recording gear
From: "werainey" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:10:26 -0000
Rob,
At further risk of too much tech talk, open circuit voltages on 12Volt rate=
solar panels in bright sun are usually well above 15 V. The issue in chargi=
ng
sealed lead acid batteries is avoiding too much current (0.1 -0.3 X battery=

capacity initially are fairly typical charge rates AFAIK). Assuming sunligh=
t or
panel size aren't constraints, this makes charging SLAs substantially slowe=
than, say, nicads, some of which can accept much higher charging rates. A
blocking diode has some overhead, so if you are actively managing charging,=

you may not want it.
Bill R.