RE: Re: Kit guidance needed for a newbie...

Subject: RE: Re: Kit guidance needed for a newbie...
From: "Kevin Wooding" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 23:41:59 -0000

That's three very different results. To my ears the MicroTrack sounds sligh=
tly
better, but it also sounds like it might have some roll-off on the low
frequencies? Am I listening for the right thing? The noise there sounds lik=
it might be supposed to be there, i.e. distant ambient rumble from
traffic/city. Or is that actually noise introduced by the equipment?

> It is indeed difficult to choose between the Tascam HD-P2 and
> the Marantz PMD671 because both recorders have their own
> specific advantages.
>
> The HD-P2 is probably a bit more rugged and there is no doubt
> that its preamplifiers are slightly quieter.
>
> I just looked up the absolute noise floor levels for the
> Sennheiser MKH 30/40 microphones:
>
> MKH 30 (25mV/Pa, 13dB(A)): -111dBu
> MKH 40 (25mV/Pa, 12dB(A)): -112dBu
>
> So, the PMD671 self noise level (assumed to be -121dBu) would
> be 9 dB below that of the MKH40. According to
> http://www.rane.com/note148.html, this constellation would
> rise the overall noise level by only 0.5 dB. Such a small
> increase should be inaudible.

Nice page - I'll need to study that a bit to comprehend it fully. But rugge=
sounds good to me so I might settle on the Tascam HD-P2.

Anyone recommend a fast source for a recorder like this in the UK? I'm
familiar with music type suppliers (e.g. Turnkey) so I'll check those too.

Regards,
Kevin