Re: Re: Need help with Sound Devices 722!

Subject: Re: Re: Need help with Sound Devices 722!
From: Tim Nielsen <>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 16:43:50 -0700
I would add that unless you have a reason to vary the stereo width=20
through the MS matrix on the 722, set your width control to 1:1,=20
which I believe now is right up the center. If you turn the bottom=20
knob all the way to the left, you'll be in effect putting the mono=20
signal on both channels. All the way to the right, and you'll be=20
putting the side mic only across both channels. THey've changed this=20
since an earlier firmware, but I think that's correct.

Pot 1 adjusts overall levels for both mics, and pot 2 adjust the=20
stereo width.

On Oct 1, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Ed Anson wrote:

> [...]
> >  the same thing? I guess I don't understand the difference between a
> >  track (recorded data?) and a monitor (???)...
> >
> >  Natalie :)
> >

> >  --- In  Ed Anson <>
> > wrote:
> >  > Natalie,
> >  >
> >  > Setting up and monitoring M/S recording is one of a few tricky
> > things
> >  > in the 722. It's easy to get it wrong in subtle ways.
> >  >
> >  > One thing you didn't mention: How is your input linking set up?
> > You'll
> >  > get a different result if you set up unlinked, linked 1/2, or=20
> linked
> >  > 1/2 MS. Any of those settings can be used for M/S recording,=20
> but you
> >  > need to set other things up differently, and work differently in
> > post.
> >  >
> >  > The simplest to work with is often the last (linked 1/2 MS),=20
> as it
> >  > performs the conversion to L/R stereo before recording. In this
> > case,
> >  > you want to monitor A,B (not MS) both for recording and playback.
> > [Note
> >  > that in this mode, the top gain knob controls the record level=20
> and
> > the
> >  > bottom knob controls stereo width. The latter should normally be
> > set to
> >  > 12 o'clock unless you want special effects.]
> >  >
> >  > As an aside: If you record as I suggested, you will have L/R=20
> stereo
> > on
> >  > your tracks, so listening with MS selected is not appropriate. In
> > fact,
> >  > doing so could result in the symptom you noticed if the tracks=20
> are
> >  > sufficiently correlated (as would happen if you recorded a single
> > sound
> >  > source near center).
> >  >
> >  > I hope this helps, and you have much happy recording.
> >  >
> >  > Ed
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > On Oct 1, 2005, at 4:18 PM, nbioacoustics wrote:
> >  >
> >  > > Thank you for helping!
> >  > >
> >  > >  I understand what you are saying, i think, but to complicate
> >  things, I
> >  > >  am using 1 cardioid mic and 1 figure 8 mic, so I need to=20
> choose
> >  the MS
> >  > >  options (from what I understand).
> >  > >
> >  > >  I chose routing: Channel 1 (cardioid) to A
> >  > >  =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2  =
Channel 2=20