Re: Need help with Sound Devices 722!

Subject: Re: Need help with Sound Devices 722!
From: "nbioacoustics" <>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 21:19:08 -0000
Hi Ed,

Thank you, that REALLY helped! Now I can hear out of both headphones
on the playback :)

One more question about this though: I have been recording in 1/2
linked MS. So, if I record AB (and not MS), can I still get back the
encoded MS signal later if I want it? Or am I stuck with Stereo only
after this?

Thanks,
Natalie :)

--- In  Ed Anson <> wrote:
> Natalie,
>
> Setting up and monitoring M/S recording is one of a few tricky things
> in the 722. It's easy to get it wrong in subtle ways.
>
> One thing you didn't mention: How is your input linking set up? You'll
> get a different result if you set up unlinked, linked 1/2, or linked
> 1/2 MS. Any of those settings can be used for M/S recording, but you
> need to set other things up differently, and work differently in post.
>
> The simplest to work with is often the last (linked 1/2 MS), as it
> performs the conversion to L/R stereo before recording. In this case,
> you want to monitor A,B (not MS) both for recording and playback. [Note
> that in this mode, the top gain knob controls the record level and the
> bottom knob controls stereo width. The latter should normally be set to
> 12 o'clock unless you want special effects.]
>
> As an aside: If you record as I suggested, you will have L/R stereo on
> your tracks, so listening with MS selected is not appropriate. In fact,
> doing so could result in the symptom you noticed if the tracks are
> sufficiently correlated (as would happen if you recorded a single sound
> source near center).
>
> I hope this helps, and you have much happy recording.
>
> Ed
>

> On Oct 1, 2005, at 4:18 PM, nbioacoustics wrote:
>
> > Thank you for helping!
> >
> >  I understand what you are saying, i think, but to complicate
things, I
> >  am using 1 cardioid mic and 1 figure 8 mic, so I need to choose
the MS
> >  options (from what I understand).
> >
> >  I chose routing: Channel 1 (cardioid) to A
> >  =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2  Chann=
el 2 (figure 8) to B

> >  For monitoring with HP, I chose: monitor "A,B (MS)"
> >  -but when i am monitoring, the LCD icon won't let me choose "AB MS",
> >  only plain "A,B"
> >
> >  For playback, I chose: track A,B
(MS)=C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2=

wrote:
> [...]

> > input=C2
> >  > track 2 to track B. It's possible to input track 1 to A AND B,
or I=C2
> >  > think both inputs 1 and 2 to A AND B, so make sure you're assign
> > them=C2
> >  > correctly for your mics.
> >  >
> >  > It bit me once, somehow input 2 got turned off, so I was only=C2
> >  > recording mono.
> >  >
> >  > Tim
> >  >
> >  > On Oct 1, 2005, at 12:30 PM, nbioacoustics wrote:
> >  >
> >  > > Hi there,
> >  > > I just bought a 722, which I plan on using in Hawaii in 3
weeks to
> >  > > record biophony for a scientific study of biodiversity.=C2  I am
> > used to
> >  > > working with plants, so I don't know much about this stuff. Help!
> >  > >
> >  > > I'm trying to figure out why when I am recording, I can hear
> > sounds in
> >  > > both headphones, but then when I playback my recording, I
only get
> >  > > sound out of the left headphone...
> >  > >
> >  > > Does anyone have the patience to help me out?
> >  > >
> >  > > Thanks.
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > "Microphones are not ears,
> >  > > Loudspeakers are not birds,
> >  > > A listening room is not nature."
> >  > > Klas Strandberg
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >  > >
> >  > >=C2  Visit your group "naturerecordists" on the web.
> >  > >
> >  > >=C2  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> >  > >=C2
> >  > >
> >  > >=C2  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> > Service.
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >

> > "Microphones are not ears,
> >  Loudspeakers are not birds,
> >  A listening room is not nature."
> >  Klas Strandberg
> >

> > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
> >
> >     =E2=96=AA       =C2 Visit your group "naturerecordists" on the web.
> > =C2
> >     =E2=96=AA       =C2 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> > =C2
> > =C2
> >     =E2=96=AA       =C2 Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
s of