Re: mystery bird

Subject: Re: mystery bird
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:23:49 -0700
At 08:41 PM 8/20/2005, Mark wrote:
>If it helps- from the glimpses I've been able to catch he's a small
>brown bird, pretty shy about being seen. Singing in Thule grass at the
>water's edge. Found nowhere else, here on the island. By the time it
>gets light enough to see, he's done singing, and pretty much gone as
>far as actually being able to see one- which is almost thrush-like
>with the shyness. Does that help?

In my experience in Arizona and the Southwest (which experience may have
absolutely no relevance to this situation!), Bewick's Wrens do not go into=

the "thules", but Song Sparrows love those environs. That may be because,
around here, Marsh Wrens occupy that territory solidly, and Bewick's Wrens=

stay out of their way in the brush margins of the marsh. Both could be
described as shy brown birds, but at times both are quite bold and visible.

Your assignment, should you decide to accept it, is to return to the scene=

of the crime and recreate it - this time using your ears and binoculars - a=

camera would be better yet.

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA