Re: mystery bird

Subject: Re: mystery bird
From: Mark Fischer <>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:11:35 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Chuck,

--- Charles Bragg <> wrote:
>         Mark, I'm still seeing 'flames' and not
> birds and grass and stuff. Is anyone else having a

Oops- I guess some explanation is needed.

You've seen spectrograms? These are just like that,
only different. The movie is made using a wavelet
transform of the sound. I've been using them for about
5 years now with whales, just started playing with
birds. Specifically, this is a biorthogonal 3.3
transform of a 3-second clip, slowed down just a
little (built at 50 frames per second, assembled at
30). At normal speeds it is just a blur, as you can
imagine.

If you're seeing 'flames', this is a good thing- it
means the movie came across just fine.

Some still frames (pictures of the sound) will be
posted in a little bit.

Cheers,

Mark
~~~~