RE: mystery bird

Subject: RE: mystery bird
From: Charles Bragg <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:33:55 -0700
At 10:53 AM 8/21/2005 -0600, Kevin Colver wrote:

>Actually Martyn, I am fairly sure this is a song sparrow.  Jim Morgan
>has posted a couple of recordings I made of Song Sparrow and Bewick's
>Wren in CA on the groups files at
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/files/
>
>What do you think?

        Now I'm truly confused. I agree that your recording of SOSP sounds =
like Mark's mystery bird. The problem is, I don't remember hearing a SOSP s=
ing like that (not that I've heard it all and remember it all perfectly...)=
. Plus, my 'commercial' recordings (Stokes) give only the most common SOSP =
vocals, which are nothing like what you have. I also still identify the ton=
al quality of the mystery bird with the wren group.
        If the bird seen was brown, truly, then it isn't a SOSP. That doesn=
't mean there wasn't a SOSP somewhere, of course. The next time I am in SOS=
P country, I am going to listen very carefully.

Mark wrote:

>Anyway, so the 'mystery bird' is still something of a mystery. I have
>a movie of three seconds of this (careful, it's 10MB) at:
>
>http://aguasonic.com/Movies/Levee50fps.dv
>
>Sorry, the frame rate is a bit high- but you can step through a frame
>at a time if you want to catch the detail. QuickTime's 7.0 is still in
>Beta, so there are some issues with building and assembling at
>different frame rates.

        QT version 6.5 is current for Windows, and my video looked like a n=
ice warm fire. So, my final answer is that the mystery singer is Loge, the =
Wagnerian Fire Elemental.

        -- chuck

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA