Re: preamps

Subject: Re: preamps
From: "Nick Roast" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:01:04 -0000
Debbie,

You can listen to the ECM-MS957 with and without an FEL 3.5
preamplifier here where Rob compared it with other mics and preamps.
I should add that the preamp used is called an FEL 3.5 Series model
SJ. Incidentally the ECM-MS957 uses a battery, not plug in power.

The test is a BIG 33mb QuickTime movie. Sorry Dial- Uppers!

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%
20Preamps/Mic&PreTransparencyTests/media/TransMic&P\
reTestsSor3_01.mov

Nick Roast. FEL Communications.

--- In  Rob Danielson <>
wrote:
> Debbie-
> I think I love recording too much to be yet considered a pro. Tim
has
> marched you right up to the horns of the dilemma quite well. The
FELS
> Mic Booster, as used in the test, can probably give a MS957 about
all
> the help one can give it. Depending on the type of recording you
need
> to do, you could consider a pair Shure 183' omnis at $200 a pair
(You
> actually buy these mics as parts and the modification requires
some
> soldering. Search the list archives for "183" for more info ). You
> can use the .mov test just posted to judge these differences. Note
> that some people prefer more directional mics for bird recording
and
> parabolic "dish" mics are very popular too. The 183 works well in
> parabola.
>
> A considerable jump in quality would be to mics with much lower
self
> noise and high output, if possible . I'm not familiar with all of
the
> mic options that will run on power in plug (PIP) form your MD mic
> input jack or from their own battery power. The EM-23 by Telinga
is
> one  PIP choice and the "ME" series of battery-powered Sennheiser
> mics have low noise and high output. I wish there was a complete
list
> to direct you to. Maybe others can chime in with suggestions of
mics
> with low noise and high output that are PIP or self powered?=20
Here's
> a chart and a spreadsheet that I started a while back that has
fallen
> a bit out of date:
>
> http://www.uwm.edu/~type/NatRecordistMicList/MicSpreadsheet.xls
>
> Another way is to get around the MD mic preamp with an external
mic
> preamp and connect to the MD's line input.  Low noise preamps that
> run on batteries and provide phantom power for a large range of
> condenser mic options are pricey. I wish it weren't true, but it
been
> that way for some years. The newest mid range recorders don't seem
> be improving the quality in the mic preamp quality department
much,
> if at all.  I agree with Tim that the inexpensive outboard pre
units
> probably won't help much.  The lowest cost sure bet, the Sound
> Devices MP2 used in the test has been replaced by the "Mix Pre"
now--
> which I see has recently undergone another price increase
(yikes!).