Re: preamps

Subject: Re: preamps
From: Tim Nielsen <>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:01:30 -0700
> For us non-pros who want as good quality recording as we can get with
> the
>  given equipment (Sony MZ-R50, MZ-NH1 as yet untried, ECM-MS957 mic
> plus
>  some yet to be determined higher sensitivity stereo mic, in my case),
> what
>  as-small-as-possible available preamp would you recommend for quiet
> sounds
>  (night sounds, birdsong, insects as so forth)?
>  Thanks for any input.

Since the 957 already terminated in an 1/8th mini jack, and uses
plug-in power? Or maybe it's battery operated? I'm not sure how much
you'd gain by adding a preamp. I think we're mainly referring to
phantom powered mics using external preamps. That being said, I know
often the minidisc mic input isn't the cleanest, and if you can go in
line level, you'll bypass some of the noise.

To do that, you can purchase a small preamp, usually powered by a 9
volt battery.

www.soundprofessionals.com sells several varieties that they make, but
I personally have no experience with them. I have some of their mics
which I like.

The main reason people buy them seems to be to increase the maximum SPL
of plug-in-power mics. The mic jack on most minidiscs supplies I think
about 3 volts, and most plug-in-power mics are optimized for 9 volts,
so by powering them externally, you gain the widest dynamic range.

But maybe someone else here has experience using a 957 with some kind
of external powering/preamp device.

Tim