Re: Whoo's this owl?-back east I have not heard Barred do that twi=

Subject: Re: Whoo's this owl?-back east I have not heard Barred do that twi=
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:32:45 -0000
rl-type call.

--- In  "John Hartog"
<> wrote:

> Thanks Rip.=20
> After listining to the owls on the Peterson Western Bird Songs
> CD, I had pretty much narowed it down to either the Barred Owl
> or the Spotted Owl.  On the CD the Barred Owl has a "twirl" to its
> call but not the spotted.  Martyn sounded pretty confident about it
> being a Barred Owl, but from yours and John's comments my
> recording did not give enough to make a positive identification.  I
> will describe it more in my next post.
> John hartog

I have checked my collection of MN Barred Owl trills.  Here in MN I
have only found trills on the end of the call and not the beginning.
Linked is a few examples I found in haste.  But as can also be heard
when they get going they can sound strange and do whatever they want
with their voice.

small <200kb download as owls can be mp3 compressed a lot without
serious damage.

http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/catawalling.mp3

I like owls a lot and will briefly brag that I did after four months
trying, record with Mark's help,(of this list) screams and tremellos
from both sexes of Northern Hawk Owl last week.

Now point me toward a Short-eared Owl nest please.

Rich