Re: Finding Shure 183

Subject: Re: Finding Shure 183
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:42:37 -0500
From: D & m <>

> Thanks Walter
> I have been thinking of the MX 183 as phantom power is not a issue. I
> learn t very quickly that my minidisk is very hungry when it comes to
> running off batteries. I guickly started to run it off a gell cell
> battery using a adapter. Extra weight in the field but at least I can
> have it ready to record when a bird suddenly pops up. Any mic can be run
> off the gell cell.

I've never had a problem running the Portadisc off the internal AA's. I
use the highest capacity NIMH rechargeables and am organized to keep
them recharged. I rarely even have to change to the 2nd set out in the
field.

But some of that is probably a difference in how I operate. I don't
wander around for hours in record pause hoping something I want will
call. As a biologist I'm aware of when calls will occur and generally
stay in record pause only for brief periods as I start a recording.
Makes a big difference in battery demands. It does require knowing your
target species better.

I'll essentially be out in the field running off batteries for the
entire time on my upcoming foray out west. My recharge source will be
the Ranger. And I'll be out for somewhere between 1 and 2 months.

I like running mics off phantom power as it cuts down on other batteries
to watch. It does not significantly reduce run time with the Portadisc
in my usage. Of course the Sound Devices MP2 pre which I also use
sometimes does notice supplying phantom power, but it's having to run
off only 2 AA's. It still runs plenty long.