Re: Sharp Hi-MD

Subject: Re: Sharp Hi-MD
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:29:58 -0500
From: "sourdough5000" <>

> I have been waiting and hoping that Sharp would come out with a Hi-MD
> recorder/ player but I have seen no evidence of it.  So I emailed
> Sharp USA Corp and asked them about Hi-MD.  Regrettably they replied
> that they are discontinuing all mini discs.  I hope this is just the
> USA branch and not corporate world wide because I loved my old Sharp
> which got wrecked in a rainstorm.  Is it true that you can only
> upload recordings to your PC on Sony Hi-MD models once?

Sony and Fujitsu worked together to develop the next generation optical
disks. In a 3.5" disk you can currently have 2.3 gigs of storage. I
suspect that Sony's Hi-MD technology is a outgrowth of that research.
Since Sharp was not part of that effort they may have been locked out
unless they pay a lot to Sony. All speculation on my part based on
reading the info on the newer 3.5" opticals.

As far as all these restrictions on uploading, or any kind of copying
the people to blame are the recording industry organizations. If they
had their way there probably would be no consumer recorders at all. Sony
has to toe the line set by US law. I think if there were a Sharp Hi-MD
you would find it also restricted copying.

Once MD dies the choices for entry into nature recording are going to be
much more expensive.