Re: Sharp Hi-MD

Subject: Re: Sharp Hi-MD
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:40:06 -0600
At 6:50 PM +0000 2/12/05, sourdough5000 wrote:
>I have been waiting and hoping that Sharp would come out with a Hi-MD
>recorder/ player but I have seen no evidence of it.  So I emailed
>Sharp USA Corp and asked them about Hi-MD.  Regrettably they replied
>that they are discontinuing all mini discs.  I hope this is just the
>USA branch and not corporate world wide because I loved my old Sharp
>which got wrecked in a rainstorm.  Is it true that you can only
>upload recordings to your PC on Sony Hi-MD models once?
>
>bruce bowden

The recordings disappear from the orig HiMD after making a 2nd
transfer. Once transferred to the PC, both the oma and converted .wav
files are accessible for storing and BU. You can leave the oma files
on your HD too and make additional conversions to .wav if needed.
There's no need to make the 2nd transfer unless your PC encounters
massive data loss on its own. I've been making multiple back-up
DVD-R's and re-using the $6 1GB discs.  Another tip: before importing
the .wav files into a mac audio apps, select them all, and give them
read and write permission under "Get Info."  Might be needed with PC
too. Transfer time is about 4X over the usb cable.

Its true, the new medium is not exploding out of the gates perhaps
because its not better than iPod-- the chief marketing aim. Field
recordists don't seem to be rushing to buy them, but at $239 for the
NH800,..I'm baffled as to why. The students in my classes really like
being able to digitally transfer files at home and listen to/work
with them on their computers immediately. Most are using/reusing
standard MD disks formatted as HiMD for 28 minutes uncompressed
16bit/44.1k Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department