Re: Sharp Hi-MD

Subject: Re: Sharp Hi-MD
From: Curt Olson <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:48:02 -0600
Rob Danielson wrote:

> The recordings disappear from the orig HiMD after making a 2nd
> transfer. Once transferred to the PC, both the oma and converted .wav
> files are accessible for storing and BU. You can leave the oma files
> on your HD too and make additional conversions to .wav if needed.
> There's no need to make the 2nd transfer unless your PC encounters
> massive data loss on its own. I've been making multiple back-up
> DVD-R's and re-using the $6 1GB discs.  Another tip: before importing
> the .wav files into a mac audio apps, select them all, and give them
> read and write permission under "Get Info."  Might be needed with PC
> too. Transfer time is about 4X over the usb cable.
>
> Its true, the new medium is not exploding out of the gates perhaps
> because its not better than iPod-- the chief marketing aim. Field
> recordists don't seem to be rushing to buy them, but at $239 for the
> NH800,..I'm baffled as to why. The students in my classes really like
> being able to digitally transfer files at home and listen to/work with
> them on their computers immediately. Most are using/reusing standard
> MD disks formatted as HiMD for 28 minutes uncompressed 16bit/44.1k Rob
> D.

You have my attention now! Much of my "real" work ends up on network
radio and on the internet, using various data-reduction schemes for
both, so I've pretty much ignored MD until now to avoid introducing
data reduction into my source recordings. But with Hi-MD's ability to
record linear PCM audio, I'm beginning to think it might be a
reasonable way to go. Rob (and anyone else), can you enlighten me a bit
more about the Sony MZ-NH700, MZ-NH800, MZ-NH900 range of MD recorders?
I've downloaded the manuals for all three of them, but maybe some quick
answers can steer me in the right direction, as I have a client who is
asking me for recommendations:

1) Rob, are you saying that transferring a .WAV file from Hi-MD to a PC
strips it of its SCMS limitations?

2) Any unique problems transferring to a Mac (OSX 10.3.x) via USB?

3) I'm familiar with Sony's mic pres and ADCs -- at least in their
older porta-DATs. Are you satisfied with their sound quality on the
Hi-MD recorders?

4) I don't need yet another radio, which the NH800 has, but I'm not
opposed to it if it's the best unit of the three in other regards.
Thoughts on these models? Other models I should consider?

5) I have my own sources, but any recommendations from here on where to
buy the recorders and blank media?

Thanks in advance,

Curt Olson