Re: Finding Shure 183

Subject: Re: Finding Shure 183
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:03:13 -0500
From: D & m <>

> Over the last couple of months I have noticed some discussion over Shure
> 183's which certainly got me interested in finding out more. Am I
> assuming right members are acquiring MX 183 rather than WL 183 and with
> the MX they using the cartridge only and not using the house (MX 183/N)
> . After checking 4 search engines only can find only one distributer
> which there must be more than that. Any suggestions being in mind I'm in
> Australia.
> David

Dan Dugan got it all started a while back with his shoulder mounted
ones. They have pretty good sensitivity, though fairly high self noise
for nature recording.

I believe most are using the WL's, and powering off the plug in power of
consumer MD. Even though the MX 183 has a slightly lower self noise
rating. The MX being designed for phantom power is a problem for folks
without that. I don't see why you would not use the entire kit on the MX
183, as it provides a balanced XLR connection.

If you search on Google, there are quite a few dealers pop up. Though I
don't know how many will ship to Australia. They also turn up on Ebay.