Re: Finding Shure 183

Subject: Re: Finding Shure 183
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:13:46 -0800
>Have you run the two off against each other to test this?

Yes.

>Could you comment on the impedance, I'm sure you understand it better
>than I. The MX183 has a impedance of 150 ohms,

Transformer output

>the WL183 is spec'd at
>1000 ohms.

Direct FET output.

>I'm pretty sure my Portadisc is going to find the MX183 a
>better match, as it's designed for low impedance mics like the MKH.

I think the operative factor is the input impedance of the recorder's
mic input. If it's high enough to "bridge" the mic's source
impedance, it won't lose level by loading it down. "Bridging" means a
load 5 to ten times the source impedance.  For a 1K source, that
would be 5 to 10K.

Unfortunately, manufacturers usually don't tell you what the actual
load impedance of a mic input is; they'll rate it with the mic
impedance that it's designed to bridge, like a standard 150 ohms. 3K
is a typical mic preamp input impedance. Higher is better, but it's
hard to keep the noise down was the impedance rises, so it's a
trade-off.

-Dan Dugan