Re: Shure 183

Subject: Re: Shure 183
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:41:38 -0500
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> Not really a misrepresentation.  Because E-bay is the process of
> winning when you are the highest bid in the world and I saw that
> there was only one source that I won a number of times with I made
> inquiries to buy the remaining supply of his.  It was only this e-bay
> seller I dealt with.  I don't regret it.  Slowly they are being put
> into service and they really can sound great.  I would not bid on the
> expensive mkh-20's or 80's simply because it is too easy to get
> burned and I could not afford that level of hit.

Ebay makes it completely clear in the rules you are supposed to have
read when you signed up to use their service that contacting a seller
and offering to buy their goods in a separate transaction is considered
against the rules, and in no way is a ebay transaction. That is what you
misrepresented, that you had bought all those mics off ebay. You did
not. Only the first few were ebay transactions.

I do business on ebay. Was the car we sold off our front lawn today then
a ebay transaction? No it was not. Neither was your private transaction.

It is also worth note that the music shop that was selling those made no
guarantee as to condition. They were as is, and they had no way to test
them and said so. When I bought them I knew I was taking my chances and
would never have represented ebay transactions the way you have if I'd
have gotten one that did not work. Nor would I have gone back to the
shop to complain. No one burned you, you took on a risk. You got quite a
few good mics out of it. And a few you think you can fix. Compared to
the cost of current MKH, you got a bargain.

Note buying a modern MKH off ebay is not the same thing. It has not got
all that age on it sitting on a shelf. Most of the MKH I got came from
projects that were canceled or had been completed. One came from a
Atlanta mic rental company. They sold it because they were not getting
enough call for high quality mics. It was not being rented often enough.
In fact, it looked and worked like brand new. In all my other MKH
transactions there was a guarantee of the mic being good on arrival.
Usually a week or two was allowed to test it and make sure.

In the case of my pair of MKH-20's, I had two offers to buy them from
others on ebay after I won. In both cases for more than I'd paid. That's
one of the good things about ebay, if you buy something and don't like
it, you can usually sell it back off on ebay for about the same as you paid.

> Right now it looks like just 2 to 4 ducks which is all that is needed
> for 5.1 surround. I will check the rc boat people and see how cheap
> they can set me up. I probably will use e-bay for cheap duck decoys
> as I see a lot of movement of those in the past but now we are
> getting out of duck season.

I'd talk to the RC guys first and find out just how much room you will
need inside the decoy for machinery, radio and batteries. It may look
like a duck, but it's a radio controlled boat. Unless you are very
lucky, you will have to learn how to build RC boats.