Re: Shure 183

Subject: Re: Shure 183
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:29:32 -0500
From: <>

> Walt,
>
> I'm distressed by your email of December 23rd.  The issue in this case is
> not just how good the Shure 183 is, but also the price/performance ratio.
> The Sennheiser MKH20 is at the pinnacle of performance of microphones, along
> with the Schoeps MK2.  But most of us have to consider the price, too.  It
> just so happens that BH photo video sells both Sennheiser and Shure, so we
> can compare prices:
>
> Shure WL183                Price : $ 88.50
> Shure MX183                Price : $ 167.50
> Sennheiser MKH20       Price : $ 1,166.50
> and
> Marantz PMD670           Price : $ 689.95

I've noted repeatedly I got a MATCHED PAIR of MKH-20 off ebay in new
condition for the price you quote for one. I've also note that when I
watched on ebay for 183's the auctions I saw ran $250 or above for one mic.

As for specs, I provided only what Shure says about the mic in their pdf
of it's specs.

The very first major discussion on nature recordists was a extended one
on the relative merits of ME vs MKH mics. That eventually resulted in
establishing some agreement on criteria for a good mic for nature
recording. I've seen nothing like that in recent years. The criteria
that were established back then, which I tend to agree with, make the
183 a poor mic for nature recording. Not that it can't be used, in the
past I've recorded with mics that were worse, still do sometimes.
Price/performance as you call it does not predict sound quality very
well. You need to know the compromise you are making. I'm distressed
that quality is not a important criteria anymore.

And quit thinking I'm rich. I don't even qualify as having middle class
income. Officially I'm of the poor class in terms of money. This poor
person has a quality kit because I made it a priority to sacrifice other
things to do it. I fully expect that I'll have to sell that all back off
trying to get money to eat if I live long enough. Or money for the
insulin I have to have. At least if those that predict how much more
than what I have I'll need for retirement are right. I personally think
they are optimistic and it's much worse.