Re: Shure 183

Subject: Re: Shure 183
From: <>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:38:04 -0800
Walt,

I missed the mark again, and expressed myself poorly.  I'm sorry.

No,  I don't think that you're rich.  Just that you have a better recording
kit than most of us can have.  We all make choices.  I'm fortunate in being
able to occasionally borrow very good microphones.

What I'm trying to say is that meaningful results can be achieved with
lesser gear, and the availability of good inexpensive microphones helps
towards that goal.

You said that:
> I'm distressed that quality is not a important criteria anymore.
I don't think that people are making a decision not to do quality recording.
It's that they get a yen to do some nature recording, and need to start out
with something affordable.  Perhaps later they move up to better, more
expensive gear.  Perhaps they don't.  Some of the discrepancy in performance
can be made up by application of cleverness.  Or the acceptance of the fact
that only a smaller percentage of the recordings made will be useful, and
that therefore the recordist will have to make more recordings to get what
they want.

> I've noted repeatedly I got a MATCHED PAIR of MKH-20 off ebay in new
> condition for the price you quote for one
Hadn't seen that before.  I haven't been so successful.  I've been looking
for years without finding a deal like that.  Meanwhile, I can buy all the
WL183s that I want for $88 each, new.

Eric