Re: for all you high end surround heads out there

Subject: Re: for all you high end surround heads out there
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:49:11 -0400
From: "Rich Peet" <>

> So why did my technique get disregarded?
> I assure you it is real surround.
> It also would make more sense to use my favorite technique for
> research species sampling then the "real" Lang approach.

At least in my case, I was talking about the criteria Lang set forth.
Not a particular apparatus. If I was disregarding anyone, it's those
working on single direction surround. The kind you have to have your
head in a exact orientation to work.

As I noted in a response to Lang, I'm actually even more picky. For me
surround means being able to walk anywhere in the playback room, face
any direction, and the soundfield retains it's reality. And, of course
multiple listeners can be in the room.

When I run into something that can do that, and the recording setup can
be set up and taken down in a minute or two I'll be interested.
Preferably it should be capable of being hand held. Then you will be
able to truly record a walk in the woods. Once you get a full color
holographic camera to go along...