Re: ...surround high end heads

Subject: Re: ...surround high end heads
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:57:24 -0400
From: Wild Sanctuary <>

> Many ways to skin the proverbial cat, Rich. Lang's is one fine
> method. Clark at Cornell used the tetrahedral (hydrophone array and a
> 4-channel recorder) pattern to track bowhead whale numbers and
> location in the Beaufort Sea a while back. And yours is no doubt
> viable, too. I disparage, disregard, or sniff at none of these
> worthwhile efforts and continue to experiment with various M-S
> combinations. Whatever brings more light to the subject and makes
> folks happy, makes me real happy. I only point out that it's kinda
> hard for most folks to hear the benefits of these efforts for reasons
> posted in yesterday's exchange.

That last is what finds me not on the surround bandwagon. I know that my
stereo efforts won't even get the playback they should. Playback is
really falling backwards if anything.

I, too, enjoy all the ideas and totally reject few. We know far too
little to know which will be the next leap forward. If there is one.