Re: Re: for all you high end surround heads out there

Subject: Re: Re: for all you high end surround heads out there
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:22:05 -0400
Rich:

I don't think your technique has been disregarded. I certainly don't
disregard it. I view it as one of many ways to create an immersive sound
experience. My personal goal is rather specific, and that's the only reason
I'm adhering to the binaural type model and hoping for an accurate 360
degree experience. But so what?

Fact is, I don't currently own a 4-track recorder so I can't really
experiment with this at all. Furthermore, I don't have a surround sound
playback setup, so I can't even study the how well my array experiment
worked at the Nature Sounds Society workshop.

There's many ways to skin the proverbial cat. I guess it all depends on wha=
we as individuals are trying to accomplish. All of this is really just for
fun.

When it comes to "surround sound", I believe there are many misconceptions.
Most people have no idea what the term means, nor do they consider why the
industry has converged upon 5.1 and the various other related options (6.1,
7.1, 8.1, etc.). So I think it's good that we discuss what kind of listenin=
experiences various miking techniques and playback techniques produce, and
how this relates to the actual experience in nature . . . so that we know
how things have been changed, how the playback illusion differs from
reality.

While we cannot reproduce reality, we certainly can come close, at least I
think we can. Whether or not one wants to come close is entirely a personal
matter.

Lang

So why did my technique get disregarded?
I assure you it is real surround.
It also would make more sense to use my favorite technique for
research species sampling then the "real" Lang approach.

Rich

--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> From: Curt Olson <>
>

> > But what Lang is trying to describe to us here is making perfect
sense
> > to me. This is the first time ever that I have not dismissed the
notion
> > of "surround sound" with a disrespectful sniff.
>
> To me the criteria Lang set up are the only "surround sound", the
other
> is just more elaborate stereo.
>
> Walt

"Microphones are not ears,