RE: Re: Alternatives to Minidiscs - or bats again

Subject: RE: Re: Alternatives to Minidiscs - or bats again
From: "Graham M Smith" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:03:59 +0100
Raimund/Bill

> I just downloaded the most recent JB3 firmware (version
> 1.40.06p). They have
> indeed modified the recording options. The previous 10hr limit
> per track has
> been altered only in the 'Wired Remote' recording mode. The other modes
> (Line-In, Mic-In, Mic-In (Mono) and Optical-In) still have the 3
> / 10 hr limit
> per track.

Thanks for checking this, I specified that I was using the line in to recor=
from the bat detector, so I assume they were referring to the "continuous
mode" that you describe when they said the recording time was now only
limited by the HD size

> Yes, that should be possible. However, the JB3 manual says that
> the external
> power supply should only be used for charging the battery.

I asked if I could run the JB3 though the recharge socket and was told you
couldn't, but I suppose you could cobble together a connection that used th=
internal battery connectors

> >With different questions in mind and the desire to install several
> >bat monitoring units over a large area that would be visited and
> >downloaded infrequently, we 've assembled several units with
> >the Anabat detector and storage zcaim,

I have looked at the Anabat system, but they double the cost of our samplin=
stations, However, they do produce a Delay Switch that sits between the
recorder and Tape/minidisk recorder, that starts up the recorder, after eac=
bat detector event, allows it to come up to speed, and then transfers the
recording to it. According to the blurb this is meant to work with any
tape/minidisk recorder, but I'm not sure I understand how it can work with
any recorder unit. I have emailed to ask for further information, but had n=
reply so far.

In retrospect, I think we probably should have looked at costs from a
broader perspective and gone with the Anabat kit, but they aren't that
popular in the UK.

Graham