Re: Re: Databasing & cataloguing

Subject: Re: Re: Databasing & cataloguing
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:54:38 -0500
Geoff:

So it appears that DiscTracker allows you to scan/search using file names
only, but that are stored on discs that are not necessarily mounted and
accessible. Is this correct.

For instance, you could do a MacOSX search for "robin", and you may come up
with  number of files like robin1.aif, robin2.aif, robin3.aif. And
DiscTracker would tell you where these files are stored (=3D on what disc i=
your collection), allowing you to pull that disc off a shelf, mount it, and
then access those files.

Right?

Lang

> Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:10:33 -0800
> From: Dan Dugan <>
> Subject: Re: Files posted to group web site

> I hate the idea of committing all the effort to building a database
> in some software that may go away. I just checked http://www.fwb.com,
> and it's no longer listed as a product, so my misgivings are
> validated. I would much prefer a standardized metadata system that
> could be accessed by different software.
>
> -Dan Dugan

Hi Dan

I use disktracker
http://www.disktracker.com/
to catalogue all my CDRs and I'm very pleased with it. I'm not sure how
you'd set it up for auditioning - applescripts? But it's a nice bit of
software for what it does.
Geoff.

Geoff Sample

Wildsong Studios
Northumberland, UK
http://www.wildsong.co.uk

This month's feature on common frogs:
http://www.wildsong.co.uk/monthly_feature.html

'Music is everywhere if only we had the ears to listen'. John Cage

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."
Klas Strandberg