Re: Re: Databasing & cataloguing

Subject: Re: Re: Databasing & cataloguing
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:58:07 -0600
At 10:54 AM -0500 3/29/04, Lang Elliott wrote:
>Geoff:
>
>So it appears that DiscTracker allows you to scan/search using file names
>only, but that are stored on discs that are not necessarily mounted and
>accessible. Is this correct.
>
>For instance, you could do a MacOSX search for "robin", and you may come u=
>with  number of files like robin1.aif, robin2.aif, robin3.aif. And
>DiscTracker would tell you where these files are stored (=3D on what disc =
in
>your collection), allowing you to pull that disc off a shelf, mount it, an=
>then access those files.
>
>Right?
>
>Lang

Hi Lang
Yes, can show the contents of CD's, DVD's, external drives, zip disks
that are on or off line. I also find it very useful for creating a
"snapshot" of all of the docs in a project to include with the actual
docs as I save them to disk.  Has a great search engine. A powerful
shortcut is to include the document type and/or document creator
type. There are free contextual menu apps for getting the
type/creator codes you use like
http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderCreatorsAndTypes/

I also use text notebook entries like Rich and content searches in
Sherlock for correlating complex attributes and then DiskTracker to
find all the storage and on-line disks where the original and
subsequent generations reside.

For simple, finder auditioning, I use instant player which will play
any file in a directory window by clicking on it (mac 0s9)
http://www.soundhack.com/freeware.php. I bet there's a OSX version
that someone has created and posted.  Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D