Re: Databasing & cataloguing

Subject: Re: Databasing & cataloguing
From: Geoff Sample <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:50:32 +0100
on 29/3/04 4:58 pm,  at
 wrote:

> Message: 23
> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:54:38 -0500
> From: Lang Elliott <>
> Subject: Re: Re: Databasing & cataloguing
>
> Geoff:
>
> So it appears that DiscTracker allows you to scan/search using file names
> only, but that are stored on discs that are not necessarily mounted and
> accessible. Is this correct.
>
> For instance, you could do a MacOSX search for "robin", and you may come up
> with  number of files like robin1.aif, robin2.aif, robin3.aif. And
> DiscTracker would tell you where these files are stored (= on what disc in
> your collection), allowing you to pull that disc off a shelf, mount it, and
> then access those files.
>
> Right?
>
> Lang

Hi Lang

Sorry for the delayed reply - I'm so busy at the moment, I can't keep up
with the speed of this fascinating discussion.

Yes I use it for finding any file that I've written to CD. Plus it has all
the data about the file (type, size, date). It scans a volume then keeps all
the file data in an entry under the volume name. As I'm loading archived
files onto firewire drives (1 for species, 1 for community/ambient), I scan
these periodically with disktracker and it helps to keep organised on where
I'm at, finds duplicates etc.

It's a simple and useful tidying-up tool and importantly - cheap!

In the meantime I'm building a database in FilemakerPro to link session
notes (location/weather conditions/outline of activities) with equipment
used details (tech), items on tape (species, SFX or habitat/community with
tape number & an ABS tape reference, plus grade etc) and relevant notes,
files loaded into the computor and archived, then edited editions of those
files. The idea being that I can quickly check up the background to any file
in my system.

At a future stage I'll be looking to convert all files to something like
BWAV and import fields from the database. But I don't see this replacing the
database.

Naming system of files: species
eg WillowWarbler S05b  : the second sequence (b) of the 5th passage/bird of
willow warbler song I've loaded from DAT into the computer
WillowWarbler C10a : first sequence (a) of the 10th example of WW calls
loaded in.
Community/ambient:
eg Lindisfarne 1995/3c : third sequence (c) of the third session at
Lindisfarne (coastal mudflats) in 1995.

The database represents an incredible amount of work - both inputing the
data and learning Filemaker/building the thing.

The whole system is in a transitional stage, since the database is not fully
developed yet (but working now). And the tape stage will disappear next year
(which currently provides for first level storage and archiving). I know
there are weaknesses in here, but I figure that having all the notes in a
database form allows for future flexibility and improving efficiency. It's
also essential to stop me wasting time by keeping check on just how many
versions of the Chaffinch's rain call I've got and their geographic
provenance.

Thanks for setting going a great thread.

Geoff.

Geoff Sample

Wildsong Studios
Northumberland, UK
http://www.wildsong.co.uk

This month's feature on common frogs:
http://www.wildsong.co.uk/monthly_feature.html

'Music is everywhere if only we had the ears to listen'. John Cage