Re: Databasing & cataloguing

Subject: Re: Databasing & cataloguing
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:19:45 -0000
I admire you and Rob's ability to understand Logic.
I have been learning 4.7 Platinum on a PC and find it a very
difficult program.

It is not easy to migrate from Cooledit to Logic. The basic
conventions of even things like mouse clicks are different compared
to the microsoft world.  The midi functions for me just get in the
way and can not be completely disregarded. ie to exceed a 2 gig wave
file you have to reset midi tempo and a few other settings.

I will learn it though because I can record with it in multitrack
over 2 gigs per file and it has very efficient use of CPU time. With
it I can record 4 channel 24/96 with a 266 mhz processor and the old
machine is just happy as can be.  I still need to upgrade my RAM
because as soon as I start to use the EQ and other inserts I run out
of memory.

I guess upgrading is not available for me in the PC world and I would
not consider that anyway until the entire laptop computer is upgraded.

On Cooledit Pro LE, it has no multisession and really should not have
carried the "Pro" in the title.  It is based on the old Cooledit and
can not handle long file names and has little in the way of filters.
Many received it enclosed with a purchase of a UA-30 as a promotion
and this is why it is not upgradable to the Audition.  The good news
is that to install Cooledit Pro LE you do not need connection to any
web site or serial numbers so it is easily portable to other
computers or easily sold.

Rich

--- In  Geoff Sample <>
wrote:
>  Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:58:07 -0600
>    From: Rob Danielson <>
> Subject: Re: Re: Databasing & cataloguing
>
> > Hi Lang
> > Yes, can show the contents of CD's, DVD's, external drives, zip
disks
> > that are on or off line. I also find it very useful for creating a
> > "snapshot" of all of the docs in a project to include with the
actual
> > docs as I save them to disk.  Has a great search engine. A
powerful
> > shortcut is to include the document type and/or document creator
> > type. There are free contextual menu apps for getting the
> > type/creator codes you use like
> > http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderCreatorsAndTypes/
> >

> > I also use text notebook entries like Rich and content searches in
> > Sherlock for correlating complex attributes and then DiskTracker
> > find all the storage and on-line disks where the original and
> > subsequent generations reside.
> >
> > For simple, finder auditioning, I use instant player which will
play
> > any file in a directory window by clicking on it (mac 0s9)
> > http://www.soundhack.com/freeware.php. I bet there's a OSX version
> > that someone has created and posted.  Rob D.
>

> Hi Rob
>
> Interesting. We must compare notes sometime, since we seem to be
using a lot
> of the same software. I noticed recently you used Logic Audio AND
you're on
> a relatively old version, like myself - 4.7. But it's been working
very
> reliably on my G4 for a few years now, and that's been a pleasure.
>
> When I worked in the music biz I used to use cubase, but I've never
quite
> got to grips with the midi side of logic (and the environment).
Maybe one
> day. I basically use it for listening through files and
compositing/editing