Re: Databasing... [Logic OT]

Subject: Re: Databasing... [Logic OT]
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:45:31 -0600
At 2:53 PM +0100 3/31/04, Geoff Sample wrote:
>Hi Rob
>
>Interesting. We must compare notes sometime, since we seem to be using a lot
>of the same software. I noticed recently you used Logic Audio AND you're on
>a relatively old version, like myself - 4.7... snip.. but I've never quite
>got to grips with the midi side of logic (and the environment). Maybe one
>day.

ditto! Rch and I just went over how to turn off the midi stuff. He's
using v4 on PC for surround field recording/post.

>I basically use it for listening through files and compositing/editing
>stuff, sometimes with a voice-over. I quite like the EQ, though overall the
>sound is not quite up to my old dinosaur Yamaha CBX-D5 - now that was a nice
>sounding processor. Just impossible to control.

Using the native mac dsp, its astonishingly powerful. I did not
anticipate that the addition of quality audio card (RME mulitiface
tibook G4) would make such a difference.  I use very modest monitor
speakers and I found it much easier to hear and work with the quality
card.  The Yamaha CBX-D5 is an interesting approach--maybe you took a
liking to the a-d or the processor algorithms. One can do full 24 bit
sub/mastering in v4.8.1 with a $150 in plugs like Wave's Maxx Bundle.

>Aren't you tempted to move up to a more recent version on OSX?

Ha, That's my task this morning!-- v5.5.1 and regretting I didn't
wait another week because the v6 Pro was announced last week at only
$300 (ed price) and its an easier transition plug-in wise.  For
involved EQ or processing, I find real time plugs a blessing because
one can save the settings to easily tweak later and have fewer/better
quality generations. For a MAJOR EQ boost: Firium and Equim ($150)
will run/save in Logic v 4.7. Nothing to fear in the freebie jump to
4.8.1, BTW) Rob D.

>Best wishes, Geoff.
>
>Geoff Sample
>
>Wildsong Studios