Re: Files posted to group web site

Subject: Re: Files posted to group web site
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:09:42 -0500
From: Lang Elliott <>

> Walt:
>
> This argument tells me to stick with MTools, which interfaces with a
> FileMaker Pro database. The nice thing about MTools is that it offers a
> great instant playback interface and also allows for you to select a port=
ion
> of a file and then download only that portion to a folder of your choice.
> Thus, it is easy to browse one's collection, audition sounds, and copy
> relevant material to a folder.

As long as Filemaker Pro can access the database itself without any of
the MTools help, then you are safe. This is certainly a much safer route
than some sort of metadata based database. If you have it all set up,
I'd be very careful about jumping to something else without a lot of study.

Doing metadata is really a separate issue from maintaining a searchable,
reliable database. I think trying to combine the two with the data in
the metadata is far too awkward and risky. It is attractive when first
bringing in the audio, it's down the road in a large collection it gets
far less desirable.

I'm kind of expecting that Filemaker will soon move into the sound and
pictures (and even video) database arena. When they do, the current
systems are going to not compete.

> I plan to have my complete collection online for insant access. With the
> price-per-gig going down rapidly, this is now feasible. My entire collect=
ion
> of field recordings only occupies around 500 gigs right now. When I finis=
> selecting all my "important recordings" out of the field recordings, I
> imagine that we're only talking a few hundred gigs, which is easy to keep
> online. And probably the best backup is another firewire drive, kept at a
> different location. No need for a quadzillion DVD-R's when drives are so
> cheap.

This is another reason for staying Filemaker based. They have all the
tools and experience for getting a major database online and functional.
How and if that will work with a MTools scripted Filemaker database is
another question. Probably will work, but you might have to become a
Filemaker guru or find one to do it. I've not messed with web based
filemaker as it only really works if you have your own server, or a ISP
that has it set up.

Instant access is another kettle of fish. Certainly for those of us
stuck with modems. Even one gig is impossible to deal with. I've played
that game with map data files, which are huge, awkward things.

I'm not a fan of firewire drives, and firewire in general is loosing
ground to USB 2.0. Definitely don't choose drives looking only at price,
I've heard some real tales of woe by folks who have done that. But,
then, storing the stuff on a server has never been the problem. Getting
it accessible is.