RE: Re: Alternatives to Minidiscs - or bats again

Subject: RE: Re: Alternatives to Minidiscs - or bats again
From: "Graham M Smith" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:34:40 +0100
Bill,

> > I asked if I could run the JB3 though the recharge socket and
> was told you
> > couldn't, but I suppose you could cobble together a connection
> that used the
> > internal battery connectors
>
> Having done this with laptops, DAT recorders and other devices,
> I was thinking of an inelegant soldered connection to the internal
> contacts. Raimund's warning about approximating the expected
> input voltage so that you don't overheat the internal regulator is
> well taken.

Yes, that is what I was thinking about.

> One item lacking in understanding your project is what is the
> output of the detectors you are recording  (e.g., tuned heterodyne,
> frequency division, time expansion)?

Ahh, that is because we are revisiting an old thread where this was
discussed at some length. This new thread originated because the conclusion
of the last thread - to go with the new Hi-MD minidisks - isn't now an
option because they are not going to be on the market in time.

At present we have 10 Stag Duets which form the main monitoring tools, and
we are about to add another 10 for a project this summer. We also have a
couple of Petterson D240Xs time expansion detectors but they aren't used in
the monitoring arrays, and a miscellaneous collection of heterodyne
detectors, that now rarely get used.

> At the risk of belaboring the obvious, a  general point that
> Raimund alluded to is that analysis of even moderate numbers
> of  all night continuous recordings will emerge as gargantuan
> time sink unless you have several computers to which you can
> upload the files, then screen for and save acoustic events using
> some software amplitude/duration (or more sophisticated)
> trigger.

Don't I know it !! We have hundreds of hours worth of recordings. But as it
so happens the two projects that we have used them on so far, and indeed th=
project this coming summer, was simply counting passes of lesser horseshoe
bats at one site and greater horseshoe bats at another - both easily
identified audibly and what we ended up doing was simply playing the
minidisks back and recording the time every time a horseshoe bat had been
recorded.

Sonobat seems to offer some form of identifying bat events on the
recordings, but I have emailed them twice for clarification and not receive=
a reply.

> the  Anabat delay switch needs a recorder that has a remote
> switching jack,

This is what I thought, but the information sheet I was looking at doesn't
make this clear, in fact it suggests, as I said, that it will work with any
recorder, which didn't make sense.

> Effectively the more expensive, but technically superior storage
> zcaim mentioned earlier has replaced the delay switch/ tape
> recorder combination for logging Anabat detector output.

Do you know if this would this work with non-anabat detectors? However it i=
a costly solution.

Not sure if this is off topic for this list, but what sort of things are yo=
doing with the Anabats, and how many do you run at a time.

I wouldn't mind following this up in more detail, but not sure if it is
appropriate for this list - unless others are interested.

Thank again,

BTW I am about to go off on holiday for a week, so if I suddenly stop
responding its not that I have lost interest.

Graham