Re: Re: Alternatives to Minidiscs - or bats again

Subject: Re: Re: Alternatives to Minidiscs - or bats again
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:14:01 +0200 (MEST)
Bill,

Thanks for your note. I have to admit that I've never used the Nomad JB3 fo=
long-term recording. I use it primarily for listening music. I have copied
my entire music CD collection (150 albums, MP3-encoded at 256 kbps) onto it=
's
hard drive and I'm very satisfied with it's performance for that applicatio=
(it has been designed for that purpose).

You are correct, the JB3 has an additional limitation on the recording time
for a single file. I just checked my JB3 (firmware version 1.32.02p). In
uncompressed .WAV file recording, the maximum duration is 3 hours (independ=
ently
of the sample rate and the number of channels). In the .MP3 recording mode,
the maximum duration is 10 hours (the selected bit rate does not matter).

Thanks for the link to the Neuros HD backpack system. That seems to be
indeed an interesting alternative to the Nomad JB3.

As far as I understand, the source code provided on their website is the
source code for the NSM PC software only =96 not the firmware that resides =
inside
the device. In fact, it would be extremely difficult to edit the firmware o=
the device. That would require detailed and very special knowledge. So, eve=
a well-trained engineer would require several months (or even years) to
become familiar with the hard- and firmware architecture. And there would b=
e the
potential risk that all the efforts get lost because the production of the
device may expire suddenly...

So, in my opinion it is an illusion to get a cheap and full-functional
recording device for such special applications as long-term bat sound recor=
ding.

Currently, the best solution for long-term monitoring of animal sounds woul=
be to use a PC -based system. In conjunction with appropriate software (e.g=
.
Avisoft-RECORDER http://www.avisoft.info/recorder.htm), it would be possibl=
to set-up the system for a sound-activated recording mode. Special
techniques (amplitude thresholds in pre-defined frequency intervals and ent=
ropy
filters in conjunction with a pre-recording buffer) can help to reject unwa=
nted
sounds from triggering.

The main drawback of using a continuous recording mode would be the huge
amounts of data that have to be analyzed afterwards.

Regards,
Raimund

--
+++ NEU bei GMX und erstmalig in Deutschland: T=DCV-gepr=FCfter Virenschutz=
 +++