Re: a preamp survey

Subject: Re: a preamp survey
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:44:03 +0100
All: This preamp question comes up now and then.

Has anyone really investigated how bad the mic inputs are of different MD's
and DAT's?
Has anyone tested how sensitive a microphone must be, (output voltage) to
run over the noise of the standard MD mic amps??

My little idea is that there is not much use of preamps (to improve noise
level) as most microphones today have either enough output voltage or make
so much self-noise that a preamp won't help.

So: What is the advantage spending lots of money on a preamp and how do you
know that for sure??
And for which microphones??

Klas.

At 11:26 2004-02-13 -0500, you wrote:
>From: Dan Dugan <>
>>
>> Walt, you wrote,

>> Sorry, but the 2-channel version will cost more than twice what the
>> MixPre costs.
>
>That's what I get for relying on my faulty memory. I thought someone had
>mentioned a $700 price tag for it. $2000 is more than a Portadisc,
>though it may end up having a better front end if they use the MP2 design.
>
>Walt
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."