Re: a preamp survey

Subject: Re: a preamp survey
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:52:14 -0600
Klas wrote:
>Thanks Rob, obviously you have thought a lot about this.
>
>But still:
>
>I have recordings of atmos only, distant birds and perhaps a woodpecker
>coming in nearby every 45 sec or so.
>The mic is a Telinga MPS1 with a self noise around 6 dbA.
>
>Still, with only 6dbA noise - the noise I hear is mic noise, not Tascam DA=
P1
>preamp noise.

At what record level? "10" no pad?  One of the factors that makes the
DA-P1 harder to compare is its gain structure is possibly very
different:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~fjkraan/digaud/dap1/MicrophoneCircuit.html
.
As you may recall from a discussion we had a year or so ago, I had a
chance to compare mkh-20->mp-2->bal line in of DA-P1, gain at "6.5"
--to--  mkh-20->DAP1 mic pre in.  I found the mp-2/bal line
combination to be quieter. I should do another test with the NT-1A's.

As for clearing the air about whether external pres really are better
than most internal mic pre's  in terms of noise (and all of the
factors involved), I'd guess that side by side field tests would
leave the least amount of dust Using manuf specs, there's a large
range in the amount of noise generated and gain provided by both
internal and external pres- even among the better pro units.  But the
same info is also very sketchy if you wanted to rank them. I thought
Equivalent Input Noise (EIN) is supposed to be measured at full gain,
but Sound Devices says, "50% gain or higher," Portadisk doesn't say
what gain level their EIN number is measured at and Tascam is nearly
mute about what their mic preamps specs are. Sony and Sharp provide
no info I could find.  By specs alone,  the MP-2 looks to be the
quietest pres among these.  Recorder line input tends to spec
considerably better than mic input in terms of signal to noise. If we
bring mic sensitivity into the equation-- this spec is measured as
the voltage generated at a certain (loud) level-- not the actual
output at low sound levels. Its likely that sensitivity (signal
output)  is not linear-- in other words, some mics probably kick out
a proportionately higher signals at low sound levels. I know my
MBHO's, with pronounced low end response have much more sensitivity
than they are spec'd at under low sound levels-- for certain sounds.

In these matters, maybe it is what we can judge and enjoy over the
speakers?  Maybe we could set-up a low sound level test at the
Recordist camp out this May and crank up all of our pres with all
possible combinations of mics and play over a high quality system at
matched levels and take a listen. We are hoping to have a cabin with
good playback this year.

>When using EM23, the omni with a self noise around 14 dbA, what I hear is =
of
>course mic noise, not preamp noise, using a simple and inexpensive
>Sharp MD...?

I've heard your EM-23's and agree they are ~14dB(a) self noise.Do you
remember the gain setting on the MD mic pre, max? My self noise mic
pre guidelines are for low sound level recording through the MD mic
pre-- I use these because that's the reality recordists face when
recording remote ambience, when their systems are at their worst.
Best,
Rob D.

>"Sound quality" is another issue here, - whether using a preamp and line
>input "sounds better" or not.
>The only thing I would like to be cleared out (finally, if possible) is if
>there is any facts supporting that there is better noisefigures to gain, a=
nd
>how this relates to output voltage of the microphone and it's self noise.
>
>Like - using a MKH20 (10 dbA) - is there a lower noise with a good preamp
>than directly into the Tascam or HHB??
>
>Klas.
>
>At 14:43 2004-02-13 -0600, you wrote:
>> wrote:
>>>All: This preamp question comes up now and then.
>>>
>>>Has anyone really investigated how bad the mic inputs are of different M=
D's