Re: a preamp survey

Subject: Re: a preamp survey
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:27:56 -0500
From: Klas Strandberg <>

> I have recordings of atmos only, distant birds and perhaps a woodpecker
> coming in nearby every 45 sec or so.
> The mic is a Telinga MPS1 with a self noise around 6 dbA.
>
> Still, with only 6dbA noise - the noise I hear is mic noise, not Tascam D=
AP1
> preamp noise.
>
> When using EM23, the omni with a self noise around 14 dbA, what I hear is=
 of
> course mic noise, not preamp noise, using a simple and inexpensive Sharp =
MD...?

> "Sound quality" is another issue here, - whether using a preamp and line
> input "sounds better" or not.
> The only thing I would like to be cleared out (finally, if possible) is i=
> there is any facts supporting that there is better noisefigures to gain, =
and
> how this relates to output voltage of the microphone and it's self noise.
>
> Like - using a MKH20 (10 dbA) - is there a lower noise with a good preamp
> than directly into the Tascam or HHB??

I have the MKH20s, a MP2 pre, and a HHb Portadisc to try this. For most
recording I do I find no difference with or without the pre, even on
most quiet ambiance. It would take the very quietest ambiance to find a
difference, then the MP2 would be a little quieter, but the mic noise
would turn up first. This occurs so rarely that I generally record with
the SASS/MKH20 plugged direct into the Portadisc. And the noise floor is
usually the environment.

However, that said, the quietest high gain I can get with the MKH-20 is
a combo, using the MP2 pre, but also using the pre in the Portadisc.
With some attenuation between the two (-15dB) Setting both within the
midrange. This can provide the same gain as pegging out the MP2, and is
quieter when I've done it than the pegged out MP2. Running any amp flat
out is not the highest quality it would seem. I try to avoid extreme
gain settings.

I doubt you can clear this out. Few even understand the source of the
noise they hear in nature recordings. And it's pretty rare that you have
environments quiet enough for the quietest mics and pres to be tested.
Cart around a good sound meter and find out just how often you see
really low sound levels. A 2mph wind through pine trees will be much
louder than a quiet mic. and you can barely feel that wind.

On Tascom vs Portadisc pre's I've only recorded briefly in tandem from
the same source. In that case, the Portadisc seemed the better pre, and
it was a quiet site and MKH-60's. Our big problem was cars on a road
more than 5 miles away. They were very loud in that setup.