Re: a preamp survey

Subject: Re: a preamp survey
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:11:48 -0500
From: "thorley_tom" <>

> Once again I would urge people to consider buying a pre-amp / mixer with=

> onboard A/D (Sony DMX PO-1(digital throughout after the initial
> preamplification) / Kamesan(Has an A/D output board)) conversion and
> twinning it with one of the latest consumer digital recorders for excelle=
nt=3D
>=20
> quality results.
>
> All the Best,
> Tom

Take your recording setup in your hands, all of it, all set up to record
anytime something calls you want to record. Now walk at least a mile
cross country through a mixture of brush, forest, ravines, swamps etc.
Preferably through some rain, drizzle, fog and so on. Now record, though
you should have also been recording on the way there. If your setup
cannot be used that way it falls way low in my choices for nature
recording. We should be discussing portable gear, and that sort of test
is what I mean by portable.

Your second test should be going to one of those tropical stations
without power and recording for a week or two if you are really hard core.

Any that pass those tests you sort through for the sound quality you
like. There is lots of studio gear that will beat what's left, but it
won't beat what's left out there where nature recording is done.

Nor is nature recording in a studio, so sound quality that matters is
what you get while nature recording. Invariably this will be far more a
function of the site than the gear. And your use of the gear.