Re: M&S Decoding

Subject: Re: M&S Decoding
From: Jeremiah Moore <>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:08:01 -0800
If you use Rob D's technique (great, simple way to do it with just
about any multitrack editor, pro tools or otherwise) you must keep in
mind any delays that plug-ins will introduce into the tracks.

Pro Tools does not internally compensate for processing delay of
plug-ins on a track.  To maintain phase coherency i.e. relative
timing between the tracks (a very important factor in stereo
imaging), it's necessary to insert the same plug in on all three
tracks Rob mentions below.  You can leave the controls at their
default position, i.e. not affecting the sound, except for the
right-panned "side" signal which gets phase-flipped.  (for any
readers not familiar, the standard iconography for phase-flip is an
empty set character, zero with a slash.)

If you do MS processing this way very often, why not make a
"template" session with the tracks already set up.  You can use Pro
Tools' "import tracks" feature to grab the three MS-decoding tracks
and pull them into any working session.

Before going to this trouble, check to see whether your software has
automatic plug-in delay compensation.  I believe Nuendo 2 does.

-jeremiah, pro tools geek

>There are plugs that do it but none I've tried are more flexible than
>what I can do in a simple multi-track track mixing app like ProTools
>Free (PTF).
>
>Save your interleaved stereo .wav file as a Split Stereo file. Place
>the left (mid) channel in Track #2 of  PTF.  Place the Right (side)
>channel in tracks 1 and 3 of PTF. Pan Tracks 1 and 3 hard left and
>right.  Pan track #2 in the middle.  Match the levels at desired
>output on Tracks 1 and 3 and experiment with how much Track 2
>Mid-gain produces the stereo image you want. The volume of the middle
>will affect the image on the sides too. You may like that you can
>insert some EQ that differs from the sides and middle too. Rob D.

jeremiah lyman moore | san francisco | sound+media |
http://babyjane.com/timeweb/
http://northstation.net/ organic, mechanized, organized sound