a preamp survey

Subject: a preamp survey
From: "jessehammons" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:05:28 -0000
Hi all,

I'm coming here via the phonography email list.  I decided to join
here and re-post this question since it's more appropriate for nature
recording.

It looks like a good mic pre is critical if attempting to record
"quiet" sounds. What mic preamps are you using and are you happy
with them?

Some of the USB equipped mic pres look interesting but I wouldn't
want to get something that required a computer to work.

Things I'm looking for in a pre are portability, durability, ease of
use, and battery life that lasts as long as possible (at least two
hours), and of course, self noise that is lower than any micrphone I
might buy (which I guess is around 5dBA).

Has anyone had any experiences with the Core Sound Mic2496? It looks
a good choice although I would like it to have a better level meter
and a line output:
http://www.core-sound.com/Mic2496.html

The sound devices mixpre 2 also looks good. Almost $1000, well spent?

Thanks,
-Jesse