Re: Re: new to this group

Subject: Re: Re: new to this group
From: "Rob D." <>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:57:01 -0500
Vlad wrote:

>   The Shure
>VP88 MS still looks good.

A surprisingly good package for the field recording especially for
close to medium close sounds.

>  My inspirations for
>  nature recording are the geese that stop over here on their way
>  north, and the frogs in our backyard which sound wonderful in the
  springtime...

Seems like the VP88 could work for this.  But if this is the main
situation you want to record, the pond is so close, you could run mic
cable.  I'd consider a pair of good Crown PZM's (P6's?) and spread
them apart 20-200' right on the water edge.  Make a little cover to
keep the rain from hitting them directly and you can leave them out
and monitor/record from the house whenever you want. Try different
spots. The PZM's are almost entirely immune to wind as is. On eBay
pretty often too. But I would be leery of leaving a VP88 out
overnight.

Walter wrote:
>The spec you will find is more important than that, if not the most
>important, is the self noise spec. Because we are so often working at
>considerable distance.

Below is a web page listing quite a few condenser mics ranked in
terms of self noise. Higher sensitivity in conjunction with low self
noise is a generally a promising combination- esecially for ambience
and very distant sounds. You might want to sort the list by pickup
pattern first (e.g. omni, fig 8) and write down some model numbers
and then sort by self noise and look for matches.  Smaller condenser
mics are the most popular for field recording.  The list is a few
years old and doesn't have all brands including Telinga, MBHO, Crown,
Sony and others.

http://www.microphonereview.com/miclist.asp?F_Sensitivity=&F_Noise=&F_SPL=&F_LLF=&F_ULF=&order=Microphones.%5BNoise+Level%5D%2C+

Rob D.