Re: re: new to this group

Subject: Re: re: new to this group
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:10:25 +1000
on 17/4/03 2:42 AM, Walter Knapp at  wrote:

(snip)
> I'm going to try for bellowing male alligators in season this year. With
> the SASS/MKH-110.

Now there's a sound I'd like to hear!

Re the endless talk on equipment, I find it all rather fascinating and I do
so wish I'd had that amount of advice when I was starting out with my
borrowed microcassette recorder with built-in mic.  I feel I wasted a lot o=
time and opportunities using the wrong equipment, but I certainly learned
fieldcraft in trying to get the best possible results from, firstly the
microcassette recorder, and later a cassette recorder and 2 electret mics
for binaural.=20

I think it would be useful to list a few possible 'basic' kits for
beginners, e.g. small minidisk and either a home-made parabola, or a a basi=
gun mic, or a one-point stereo mic.  Beginners may not be aware of the mic
specifications to look for (I certainly wasn't), and if they just a had a
list of a few recommendations, that would be a starting point.

For a basic kit, bought new, I'd go for a small minidisk and a Sony ECM
MS957 one- point stereo mic, and a FEL miniature pre-amp, or maybe instead =
Rode NT4 stereo mic.  Or for a gun mic, a Sennheiser ME 66 maybe.  For the
mic I'd have a home-made shockmount and windshield.  With that much gear yo=
could get really satisfying recordings if you took a bit of trouble with
fieldcraft.

Vicki Powys
Australia