Re: re: new to this group

Subject: Re: re: new to this group
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:42:24 -0400
 wrote:

 > It seems it may be possible to get something like MS out of a
dual-membrane, but only in post-production, with M =3D omni and S =3D
figure-8.  If so, and if the TL44 is rugged enough, I may go with it for
'MS' at the cost of being able to hear only '180 degree XY' stereo
on-location.

Some M/S mics are actually 3 capsule mics. You could take this mic and
use it for the side mic along with another mic for the mid. The mid
could be any of the polar types normally used for M/S. You would then
have to probably use a mixing board or the software equivalent to decode
it, standard decoders assume a single figure 8 side.

In addition you can run the decoding process backward to create a M/S
set from a X/Y stereo. And then re-encode it. I'm not sure I'd call that
recording M/S, however. And you can do what you'd most likely want in
one step with software that adjusts the stereo field.

 > R.e "just do it", I certainly don't want to be one of the music
people moving this group away from 'applications' and into 'tools': but
such is the curse of the newbie.  I am very interested in hearing about
the applications (i.e. nature) too.  I want to get decent equipment, as
this may be the LAST spring when the frogs croak in my backyard
(encroaching development).

It always comes down to "just do it" with what? I think there is no way
we should not point out as many of the possible ways to go and why. What
each option means as far as recording. In making choices you make
choices of what you can record, or how it will sound. You can, with
experience compensate for the lack of abilities of a piece of equipment,
but with limits. Yes, you can "get recordings" with just about the
lowest level of equipment. I don't think that the message has been you
can't, it's been that it will be a limitation with equipment X vs
equipment Y. In the end, a beginner must weigh all the info given along
with their own personal info and make their own choice.

The assumption in "just do it" is that a beginner already has a recorder
and mic. Many do not and first have to buy something. And many others
don't come into this group asking until they have already gone out and
recorded with what they have, and are wondering what to move up to. In
some cases what's best for them may be to go back out and record some
more with what they have, with advice and help from the group they can
learn how to get more out of what they have. Others will have reached
the limitations of their equipment and really do need to hear all the
equipment stuff.

I certainly would like for there to be more discussions of field
technique. Comparing notes can come up with new stuff even for people
who have been recording for a long time. It's one of the real values of
the group.

As for what I'm doing in field recording, it's the in between time here.
The winter callers, chorus frogs, gopher frogs, southern leopard frogs,
spring peepers, american toads, wood frogs are winding down or done.
Next comes the outburst of treefrogs, bullfrogs, narrowmouth toads,
fowler's toads and so on that will be my main focus until August. Right
now there is a Cope's Gray Treefrog making a occasional call from his
hiding place somewhere along the gutter outside my window.

My initial focus will be on Carpenter Frogs in the Arabia Swamp area, a
area of carolina bays, peat swamps and so on scattered over several
counties. The area drains SE, eventually to the Okefenokee Swamp, and
Carpenter Frogs are known from there. Arabia Swamp will be a new area
for them, has been very dry for several years. I did hear one calling as
I got my equipment out one evening a few years ago, so I know they are
there. Just have to document that.

Then I will be back to the hunt for the Pine Barrens Treefrog. Not yet
documented from Georgia, only sporadic unconfirmed reports. In reviewing
all my recordings we found one track where way off in the background
behind a bunch of loud frogs we can just make out what might be some of
them. That's a number one priority to go back and check that area out
very carefully. And it's on the edge of a 10 county area in SW Georgia
that's been on my list for a while for them. The drought the last few
years have made it not too worthwhile hunting there, but this year it's
fairly normal and a lot more water around down there. I took a swing
through the area at the end of another trip a few weeks ago to see.

I'm also reviewing all my maps of where I've found frogs. As I do every
year. Looking for areas to go fill in, or likely expansions to document.

I'm going to try for bellowing male alligators in season this year. With
the SASS/MKH-110.

And I've got all those new mics to do it all with. I'm hoping to
accumulate a bunch of good recordings this year as I'm now able to take
more time at each site. The early season has been encouraging. My
documentation efforts will continue to center around the Telinga as so
much of that is distant recordings, but the other mics will give me a
lot better close recording capability. And will probably be the primary
ones for recording swamp ambiance, large close frog chorus and such like.