Re: Re: new to this group

Subject: Re: Re: new to this group
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:29:12 -0400
 wrote:
 > Thank you for your feedback, Vicki.  Yes, the NT4 does indeed have
good specs, but you are not the only one to recommend a 2-mono-mic setup
instead.

 > I've done a bit more sutdying and talking to people, and am starting
to think that MS is the way to go: XY seems to suffer from proximity
effects, and, as you mention, may have problems in a parabolic setup: at
least the M section of an MS shouldn't have these problems.  The Shure
VP88 MS still looks good.  However, speaking of Pearl, there's an
excellent deal (about 1/2-price = less than the VP88) in a local store
on a Pearl TL44 which seems to be composed of 2 back-to-back cardioids
(mixable as 180 deg stereo, figure of 8, omni, etc.)... but anything
beyond very basic specs on this mic seems very hard to find (one of the
reasons it's not selling well here in Canada, I suspect), and I'm
hesitant.  Does anyone know this mic?  It seems to be studio-oriented.

 > As far as 2 mono mics go, I may end up with 2 Shure PG81s or 2 Audix
ADX-50s as part of a drum mic kit, so these could be used instead.  But
the VP88's compactness and variable stereo imaging both in pre- and
post-production is nice: not the price, however, and I would be hesitant
to buy a used mic due to their fragility.

I've bought quite a few used mics. I've had no problem with any of them,
and it does save a lot of money. Particularly in higher quality mics
most folks take good care of them. I've also gotten quite a few where
they were bought new for some project that fell through, and although
"used" they have never actually been used.

Proximity effects hardly apply in nature recording. We are almost never
that close. Except for a few who get their fun with extreme stalking.

The spec you will find is more important than that, if not the most
important, is the self noise spec. Because we are so often working at
considerable distance.

I like M/S as well. But don't limit myself to that.

 > Am getting tired of shopping, want to start recording.. :-)

I know the feeling, hate shopping.

And the real way to find what you need is experience. Nothing like
getting out there and recording to show you what you need.

Which will lead back to shopping...