Re: new to this group

Subject: Re: new to this group
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:14:42 +1000
re: one-point stereo mics

Vlad,

If you wanted a one-point stereo mic, I have heard a lovely recording of
stereo ambience (birdsong) made with the Rode NT4, but I don't know how
rugged it is for outdoor work.  Popular choices in UK for one-point stereo
mics are the Sony ECM 957 used with a FEL pre-amp, and the Pearl MS-2 C
(expensive).  (The ECM-957 is supposed to be a lot better than the ECM-907).

I have heard the comment made about recording birds flying overhead, if you
use a dish and a stereo mic then the bird calls will seem to distort in
their direction, i.e. when the birds are directly in line with the dish the
calls will seem to veer towards you in an unnatural manner.  Nevertheless
I've heard some good stereo geese, recorded with a stereo Telinga dish.  I
personally have a Sony ECM MS5 stereo mic, good sound but rather weak in its
pick-up range - the Rode NT4 seems to have better specifications than my
(more expensive) Sony mic.  These days I use two mics for recording stereo
(two Sennheiser ME 64s), but a one-point stereo mic is useful if you are
travelling.

For a greater choice of stereo recording methods, use two mics.  Walt has
given us some excellent examples of his various stereo setups, both sound
and pictures (thanks Walt!)

Vicki Powys
Australia