new to this group

Subject: new to this group
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 23:37:11 -0500
Hello

There doesn't seem to be a record of e-mail messages on the Yahoo site
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/), so I'm CCing this to the
moderator just in case... if I'm missing something, please let me know.

I'm a musician/engineer building a home studio and starting out in nature
recording (none done yet), and am specifically looking for some mic advice (I
have a
DA-P1 DAT deck and am looking for a stereo mic).  My inspirations for
nature recording are the geese that stop over here on their way
north, and the frogs in our backyard which sound wonderful in the
springtime...

I've narrowed the field/studio mic choices down to a Shure VP88 or a Rode NT4.
The Rode has better specs, but rolls off in the high end; and there's no
environmental specs on it that I can find (the mics seem fragile).  The VP88
seems much more versatile (selectable/defeatable M-S matrix, rolloff), seems to
have good environmental specs, but rolls off in the low end which seems
impractical for "thunderstorms or elephant snorts" (see this month's Electronic
Musician for an interesting article on nature recording). I also have an old
AT801 omni which could be simultaneously used (e.g. with the VP88 in mono mode)
to capture very low-end stuff, although this is a bit impractical since the
point is to carry only 1 mic around.

I'd love to hear your 'field' opinions on these 2 mics, or any other stereo
mics you might suggest (I've somewhat hastily discounted the Crown SASS-P 'cos
it seems bulky).

regards,
Vlad

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup