Re: Fwd: sound devices 744

Subject: Re: Fwd: sound devices 744
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 00:23:43 -0400
Lang Elliott wrote:
> Yes, I heard SoundDevices was planning to come out with a new digitial
> recorder, and I think it will priced affordably. I will probably be first in
> line to get one, given how much I like their MP-2 preamp.

The battery on the back looks a bit awkward, but I recognize it. A NP500
series camcorder battery. Same as my digital camera uses. Since it's a
slip on battery, I'd hope there is a lock on the holder. Those batteries
are lithium ion, extremely durable, about 4 hour recharge. Out in the
open like that where there's room you could also use the NP700 series,
which is thicker and higher capacity.

Working from the size of that, which I know, this is a fairly small unit.

This would need a protective case for any kind of weather. Like the
MP-2, lots of ways for dust or water to get in. I can think of a couple
Porta Brace cases that would probably do fairly well.

I don't see any M/S decoder setup.

There only seems to be the three photos on their site, no info.